If you’re planning a kitchen remodel, there’s so much to consider. From countertops to faucets, from appliances to flooring, you’ll have so many choices to make that it may feel overwhelming. While you’re planning, though, don’t forget about the lights. Kitchen lighting can make or break a space, so look for lights that make a statement as well as illuminating the room. We recommend considering pendant lights, which can be truly stunning and elevate your kitchen’s style and function. Here’s how to pick the ones that are perfect for you.
- Consider your space. Think about how much natural light you have, and where you’ll need the most light. Don’t leave lighting as an afterthought, but discuss it with your design team while you’re designing the kitchen.
- Think about functionality. Cooking, preparing food, and washing dishes all require light. Layer in your lighting, installing lights under cabinets and countertops, on top of cabinets, and over workspaces, adding pendant lights to add interest. It’s a good rule of thumb to consider task, mood, and feature lighting when designing a kitchen.
- Using lighting to set the mood. Think about the ambiance you want in your kitchen, and use your lighting to promote that feeling. Warm lights can enhance the colors of your kitchen and even make the food look more attractive.
- Choose a fixture to highlight a focal point. A pendant light above an important centerpiece like an island or backsplash can help to show it off to its best advantage
Pendant lights are a flexible form of lighting that hangs from the ceiling using a wire or rod. They’re adjustable, and because they’re ceiling-mounted, they don’t take up any floor or counter space. Perhaps the best thing about pendant lights, though, is that they come in such a wide variety of styles and can be configured in many ways. Here are some ideas about how to incorporate them into your kitchen.
- Use pendant to incorporate a particular style. You can find pendant lights in an amazing array of styles. Whether you like mid-century modern or traditional, rustic or contemporary, you can find something that suits your aesthetic. Pendant lights even come in a variety of materials and textures, so whether you prefer metal, glass, or an organic material, there’s a light fixture for you. You can, of course, decorate your entire kitchen in one style, but with pendant lights, you can pay homage to a design look, without overdoing it.
- Consider hanging an odd number. This can give a striking look while also providing plenty of light and creating a sense of balance. Three lights over an island, for instance, is functional as well as aesthetically appealing.
- Match your lights to other colors and finishes in your kitchen. Think “friends, not twins” and choose lights that complement the metal tones and colors that already exist in your design without matching exactly. This will create a cohesive look that ties all of the elements together.
- Choose a pendant light that functions as art. There are so many beautiful pendant lights on the market that this won’t be difficult to do. Do you prefer a pendant in the Tiffany stained-glass style, one that looks like blown glass, or a softer, rounder pendant, made of organic materials for a modern look? There’s a near endless selection, including gorgeous sculptural fixtures that lend the space a creative feel. If your artistic pendant doesn’t give off enough light, support it with recessed lighting that allows it to shine.
- Think about different shapes and textures when shopping for pendant lights. Pendant lights come in a wide array of looks, from soft and rounded to angular and square to elegant and elongated. The textures range from metal to glass to fabric to wood, and just about everything in between. Take your time when you’re shopping, and you’ll find something truly special to make your kitchen perfect.
When you’re looking for bathroom or kitchen remodeling in Arizona, trust the team at Re-Bath & Kitchens®. Having served homeowners in the area since 1978, our kitchen remodel contractors have the home design expertise needed to provide a wide range of kitchen and bath remodeling services. Our service is exceptional, and we deliver innovative, high-performance products in our four showrooms in Maricopa County and Northern Arizona. Visit one of our spacious showrooms, call us at 480-359-1778, or contact us through our website for more information.